SEPTEMBER IS NATIONAL CHOLESTEROL EDUCATION MONTH

PRESS RELEASES   8/31/2017
Did you know that high blood cholesterol affects over 65 million Americans? Itís a serious condition that increases your risk for heart disease; the higher your cholesterol level, the greater the risk. Lowering your cholesterol levels that are too high lessens your risk for developing heart disease and reduces the chance of having a heart attack or dying of heart disease. Women should be especially aware of their cholesterol levels and risks of heart disease, as it is the number one killer of women.

*Only 1/3 of women know their current cholesterol levels.

*Twice as many women know what they weighed in high school than know their current cholesterol levels.

Facts about Cholesterol:
*Cholesterol is a soft waxy substance found in our bloodstream and all our cells that the body produces naturally. Its function is to help form cell membranes, some hormones and is needed for other functions.

*About 75% of our cholesterol is made from our liver and other cells. The other 25% comes from the foods we eat.

*It is the excess of cholesterol in our bodies that poses a problem. Cholesterol levels that are too high can lead to coronary heart disease, one of the leading causes of death in the United States. There are 106.7 million Americans with borderline high and 37.2 million with high blood cholesterol levels.

Although National Cholesterol Awareness Month is only during September, itís a health issue that needs to be addressed by each and every one of us. Our lives could depend on it.

If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment to have your cholesterol checked, please contact our Adult & Internal Medicine Department at 850.474.8385.